Recipe for Eden Vale Inn Cinnamon - Eggnog Scones
Thursday, December 18, 2014
We are happy to present a great holiday recipe for cinnamon-eggnog scones, below. They are toasty warm in wintertime, which is a beautiful time to be in the Sierra Foothills near Placerville CA and the Apple Hill region. Days can be spent in our cozy inn, at nearby Sierra Foothills wineries, El Dorado County wineries, or hiking trails near us. At night, bright winter stars gleam over our fire pit – and hot melted s’mores! Your deep sinking tub-for-two is even more steamy in winter’s cooler air.
Morning brings your personalized gourmet breakfast at Eden Vale Inn. Below is one of our winter recipes – feel free to share it!
Eden Vale Inn Cinnamon - Eggnog Scones Recipe
- 2 ¾ cups unbleached all- purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 Tbl baking powder
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ cup butter, cut into pats or small cubes
- 1 cup cinnamon chips
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla or ½ tsp eggnog flavor
- ¾ cup cold eggnog
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients
- Work in the butter just until the mixture is unevenly crumbly; it’s OK for some larger chunks of butter to remain unincorporated
- Stir in cinnamon chips
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, vanilla or eggnog flavoring and eggnog
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until all is moistened and holds together
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface; a silicone rolling mat works well here
- Divide the dough in half; each half will weigh about 18 ounces. Roll and pat each half into a 6 ½ inch circle about ¾ inch thick
- Using a knife or bench knife that you’ve run under cold water, slice each circle into 6-8 wedges. Alternately, use a 2 ¼ round cutter to cut each circle into 6-8 rounds, gathering, re-rolling and cutting the scraps.
- Place scones on a parchment lined baking sheet, about ½ inch apart
- Brush with eggnog and sprinkle with sugar or cinnamon sugar
- For best texture and highest rise, place the pan of scones in the freezer for 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Preheat oven to 425 and bake scones for about 20 minutes or until golden brown
- Cool briefly on wire rack and serve warm
Book online for your next visit to Eden Vale Inn or by phone, 530-621-0901. For only a few days more, you can buy discounted Eden Vale Inn gift certificates for a future Eden Vale Inn visit – for a gift to others, or yourself!